MAJORS

In the sandwich of applications, sophomore year is the filling. Nestled in between the urgency of applying to college and the transition to the real world, sophomore year seems like the perfect cushion, the delicious time to relax, be social, drink sparkling lemonade while lounging along the Jersey Shore…

Well, not exactly. Sophomore year is important, but more so, it’s exciting. No freshman transition, no junior papers, no senior panic – the ideal time to explore your future without all the pressure. So why not start asking yourself the big questions? What’s there to lose?
First order of business to cover: the major. By now we’ve all been here long enough to know at least something about each major. For example, if foreign language makes your cervello a little loco, Comparative Literature is probably not the wisest choice. But what if you’re faced with a tough choice? Policy or Politics? Math or Physics? Art History or Architecture? And what if you love your intended major but worry that it doesn’t provide enough career choices?

For starters, check out the “What Can I Do With My Major” website. You’re a veteran sophomore, so by now you may have a good grasp of what you want to study. If you’re feeling unsure or just curious, give it a try. Just select a major from the pull-down tab to browse descriptions, real jobs and positions alumni have held, and internships some of these majors have pursued. I, for one, am in love with this feature. As an English major, I often get the question, “Oh so what are you going to be? Teacher or a lawyer?” Now, I have concrete proof that we English majors are versatile! Since exploring this tab I have since solidified my interest in journalism as my career of choice.

Enough about me. Go to http://www.princeton.edu/career/undergrads/majors_occupations/what_can_i_do_with_my_maj/ and see for yourself!