Question of the Week

Can Career Services help me find career opportunities other than the ones posted on Tiger Tracks? – Jason Warrington ‘13

Such a great question, Jason! Career Services offers a host of ways to find out about career opportunities other than the ones posted on Tiger Tracks! In fact, our website is the number one place to go if you need more help with finding opportunities. Check out the following tips. I’m sure they’ll help out a lot!

1. Use the Career Services website to search job opportunities by INDUSTRY at http://www.princeton.edu/career/about_us/online-resources/by-industry/.  This is a great resource to browse different opportunities depending on the industry you are interested in.
  2. Create a professional LinkedIn account. LinkedIn is a great resource for college students and alumni to build professional networks. It can also be used to learn about industry trends and research potential employers and opportunities. LinkedIn users can subscribe to job boards and groups. For example, I am subscribed to a social media job board. Whenever there are new postings, I get a customized email notifying me of “jobs I may be interested in.”  Our career counselors can help you set one up!
  3. Attend Career Services Events. Each semester Career Services hosts more than 100 programs and events. Attending these events is a great way to find out about opportunities that are not on TigerTracks. Events range from career panels and alumni speakers to company presentations and career fairs. Even more, they are a great way to network with other students and professionals who may be able to connect you with more opportunities. Check out our event calendar today!
  4. Alumni Networking.  One of the best ways to learn about career opportunities and to receive career advice is to get in contact with our wonderful Princeton alum! The Alumni Careers Network (ACN) portal is a great way to search alum by industry and profession.  There are over 4,000 volunteers worldwide who can be used as a resource when considering a career or for general networking within a specific field.
  5. Make an appointment with one of our career counselors who can provide customized job search strategies for each of the students they see.  Visit Princeton.edu/career for online scheduling or call our office at (609) 258-3325 to make an appointment today!

As you can see, Jason, TigerTracks is not the only Career Services’ resource that you can use to research career opportunities. It’s actually just one of many. Remember, the job search is a process and Career Services is here to help you.

If you have a question about Career Services you would like answered, feel free to contact me at recampbe@princeton.edu and I will do my best to assist you!