Is it too late to look for summer internships after exams?
- Paul Riley ‘15
Thanks, Paul! A lot of students have the same question on their minds—so, I think your question is very timely and important.
No, it is NOT too late to look for summer internships! Although some of your friends have already secured summer jobs, a lot of industries and companies are still actively recruiting students for summer positions. With that being said, you still need to begin looking as soon as possible! Though internships can still be found, application deadlines vary. Don’t miss out on a great opportunity because you didn’t know when the deadline was! Here are my quick tips on how you can START your internship search now.
- Make a list of your interests. What do you like to do? Where do you want to work? Before you start looking, you want to have an idea of the type of opportunities you are looking for. Also, remember to keep your options open. Instead of looking for only paid internships, also look at unpaid opportunities. Set on staying in the U.S.? Why not research international internships, too? Don’t box yourself in too early.
- Check out the Online Resources page on the Career Services’ website. This is a great one-stop portal to a list of industry search engines that can help your internship search. Of course, TigerTracks and UCAN should be your first stop. Make sure to register for both and start scouring the sites looking for positions that interest you. Try keeping track of each position’s deadline and needed materials. Some postings may require references, writing samples, or a link to a portfolio of some sort. Make sure you know what needs to be submitted and when!
- Ask around! Ask people you know about current opportunities they may have heard about. You never know who has information about available internships. Take the time to email friends, family members, former employers, professional contacts, alumni or even professors you know and ask them to keep you in mind if they hear of any potential internship opportunities.
- Follow and like the Career Services Facebook and Twitter pages. We are constantly posting about career events, advice, and opportunities specifically for Princeton students. You’ll also be reminded about our upcoming Career Services events such as our Summer Internship Fair and Nonprofit Fair, which will both take place on Feb. 15th from 11 am – 3 pm at Dillon Gym.
- Make an appointment with a career counselor. Our career counselors are here to help you at whatever point of the internship search stage you are at. They can help you make a customized plan and search strategy. They can also review your resume, cover letter, or interview applications. Go to Career Services website or call us at 609-258-3325 to schedule an appointment today.