"Baby Einstein" is No Einstein

| 7 Comments

Disney’s decision to offer a refund to parents for “Baby Einstein” videos (“No Einstein in your Crib? Get a Refund”) is a breath of fresh air. While research in a recent Future of Children volume confirms that children older than three can learn from educational television and videos, infants and toddlers cannot. But very young children still consume a lot of electronic media. A recent survey estimated that 43 percent of infants and toddlers watch TV every day. Nineteen percent of children under one, and 29 percent of children two to three have a television in their bedrooms. At least one study found that children’s television viewing before age three was negatively related to children’s later academic achievement. Children under age 2 learn best from real-life experiences and interaction with real people.

7 Comments

Thankyou for this information Elizabeth.

I write a blog discussing what are the best educational and developmental toys to buy. I'll let the readers know about your site with it's good information.

Kathy

Kathy B, I'm actually interested in your blog? I have a kid and I'm really curious now to know what the best toys are to buy for him!

These products can be very useful in moderation. My issue with them is I have seen parents just plop their baby in front of one of these programs for their own personal free time. Kind of like a babysitter. To me that is just wrong.

I think that the baby Einstein videos are great! I think that any parent would agree that you cannot interact with your child 100% of every minute of every day. Mom's not only need a few minutes of "downtime" to recharge during stressful parenting days, but also need time to do laundry, prepare food, mop the floors, etc. Having your child watch a colorful t.v. with movement and cheerful playful music is much like a more developed mobile that parents have used for years. Will it make your child a genius? No. But it might keep the little tikes quiet and entertained for a few minutes while mom is busy tending to other things that need tending to.

Elizabeth,

Very interesting post.

Something seems wrong to me that 29% of children between the ages of 2 and 3 have a tv in their room.

That just doesn't seem right unless it is used as a baby sitter.

Rick

I agree... too many times you see this happening. We're in the age of electronic babysitting

Electronic babysitting? Heck, couldn't that be considered neglect? ;)

Archives

Recent Comments

• Jakk Ogden: Electronic babysitting? Heck, couldn't that be considered neglect? ;)…
    read more
  • Stephen: I agree... too many times you see this happening. We're…
    read more
  • Rick: Elizabeth, Very interesting post. Something seems wrong to me that…
    read more
  • Tiffany: I think that the baby Einstein videos are great! I…
    read more
  • Rebecca Herranen: These products can be very useful in moderation. My issue…
    read more
  • Anonymous: Kathy B, I'm actually interested in your blog? I have…
    read more
  • Kathy B: Thankyou for this information Elizabeth. I write a blog discussing…
    read more