The Butterfly (London: Grant Richards for The Butterfly Press, No.1, March 1899-No. 12, February 1900). Graphic Arts GAX 2011- in process
In 1897, Grant Richards (1872-1948) opened a publishing house on 9 Henrietta Street in Covent Garden, London, using his name as the imprint. He published works by G. B. Shaw, A. E. Housman, G. K. Chesterton, Alfred Noyes, John Masefield, Hector H. Munro (Saki), Arnold Bennett, and Maurice Baring, among others.
In 1899, Richards attempted to revive a literary monthly created by Walter Haddon in 1893 called The Butterfly. Like the earlier magazine, Richards bound his in yellow wrappers (ours are slightly washed out), a style also followed by The Yellow Book (1894-1897). The title may be a reference to the celebrated painter of the moment, James Abbott McNeill Whistler (1834-1903), whose signature was a butterfly and whose art marketing company (established 1897) was named the Company of the Butterfly. Contributors to The Butterfly, which only lasted twelve issues, included H. D. Lowry, Arthur Morrison, Nora Hopper, and many others. Each issue was heavily Illustrated with reproductions of drawings by Max Beerbohm,
S. H. Sime, and Joseph Pennell, among others.