The Montclair Theatre opened on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair, New Jersey, early in the 20th century. The first newspaper reference ran on August 17, 1913, when the New York Tribune reported on the development of “…that section of the town, which has recently been benefited by the erection of the new municipal building, the art museum, and the Montclair Theatre.”
Along with legitimate stage productions, the auditorium was used in 1915 for a sermon by the evangelist Billy Sunday; in 1917 for a “mass meeting to protest against the deportation of Belgians by the Germans”; and in 1938 for “Fol-De-Rol,” a presentation by the Princeton Triangle Club.
Leo Sielke Jr. (1881-19??), Montclair Theatre, N.J., no date (ca. 1913). Watercolor with gouache highlights on board. Theater Collection GAX 2012- in process
In March 1921, the New York Times announced that H. H. Wellenbrink, lessee of the Montclair Theatre, had purchased another plot to erect a second theater. This would become the Wellmont Theatre, which is still operating today. Unfortunately, the Montclair Theatre was torn down to provide room for a parking lot.