4 thoughts on “Marvin Bressler

1. Doug Lederman

My fondest recollection of Marv Bressler was from the period when I was struggling mightily with my junior paper. I would founder for days, unsure of my direction and convinced I was going to fail it. I’d finally set up an appointment to go see him, and we’d spend 28 minutes talking about Pete Carril and his Tigers and, ah yes, two minutes on my JP. And all was right with the world.

2. Doug Lederman

My fondest recollection of Marv Bressler was from the period when I was struggling mightily with my junior paper. I would founder for days, unsure of my direction and convinced I was going to fail it. I’d finally set up an appointment to go see him, and we’d spend 28 minutes talking about Pete Carril and his Tigers and, ah yes, two minutes on my JP. And all was right with the world. I will miss him.

3. Lorna Marsden

The account of Marvin Bressler is perfect. It captures him so well. He was terribly funny and certainly kept us laughing. He appeared to know absolutely everything that was going on among students and throughout Princeton and was helpful in a highly strategic way to so many of us. In my years that “lug of a pipe” was a prominent feature of his persona but in those days faculty smoked in seminars, including cigars in the case of Wilbert Moore.Too bad he didn’t write his memoirs.

4. Symeon K. Davis

To this day, I still fondly recount and revive discussions that “THE Professor” sparked and guided. My heart is still very heavy from the thought of a world without Marvin Bressler. He was the perfect embodiment of a deeply caring person, a stellar teacher, an electrifying conversationalist and a thoroughly engaged citizen. How lucky we were to share time with him–he shall always be remembered as one of the greatest.