Meet Dan Linke

LinkeName: Daniel J. Linke (“Dan”)

Title and Duties: University Archivist and Curator of Public Policy Papers. Oversee the operations of the Mudd Library which includes reference, technical services, exhibitions, and collection development, as well as representing and promoting Mudd Library within the University and to the public at large.

Worked at Mudd since: December 27, 1993. Promoted to current position July 2002.

Ongoing projects: Directing the James A. Baker III Oral History Project; planning the celebration of the University Archives 50th Anniversary in 2009; and advocating for an electronics record management program, in conjunction with a full-time records manager to be hired.

Why I like my job/archives: Mudd’s holdings are broad and deep, in both the Public Policy Papers and the University Archives, and something interesting is always happening at Princeton. As a manager, I am also grateful for my smart and self-motivated staff.

An interesting work anecdote: For the Baker Oral History Project, I arranged to have Vice President Richard Cheney interviewed on videotape by former Newsweek White House correspondent Tom DeFrank in the Vice President’s formal office in the Old Executive Building, which is adjacent to the White House. The interview was to start at 10:30 but at 10:20, the Vice President walked into the room unannounced and asked, “Who’s in charge here?” I refrained from making any Al Haig jokes, but strode forward and said “I am, sir” and introduced myself. Fortunately everyone was ready to go so we started. Though I had asked for an hour of his time, Cheney talked for almost 90 minutes. (He restricted this interview though, so it is not yet available.)

Favorite item/collection: There are many. At the moment, when I give tours, I like to show Jacqueline Kennedy’s letter to Adlai Stevenson dated Dec. 4, 1963, Earl Gideon’s letter to the ACLU, and the Princeton flag that Pete Conrad ’53 took to the moon with him on Apollo 12.

Other information: I am one of three “Dans” working at Mudd, and though born the earliest, I do not like being called “Old Dan.”