I recently finished my Ph.D on the philosophy of perception from Oxford. With a team of people from Stanford and Cambridge, I’ve just launched a website,
www.academia.edu, which does two things:
- It shows academics around the world structured in a ‘tree’ format, displayed according to their departmental and institutional affiliations.
- It enables academics to see news on the latest research in their area – the latest people, papers and talks.
We are hoping that Academia.edu will eventually list every academic in the world — Faculty Members, Post-Docs, Graduate Students, and Independent Researchers. Academics can add their departments, and themselves, to the tree by clicking on the boxes.
Academics are joining the tree rapidly. More than 15,000 academics have added themselves in the last two months. Some professors on the site include:
– Richard Dawkins – http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardDawkins
– Stephen Hawking – http://cambridge.academia.edu/StephenHawking
– Paul Krugman – http://princeton.academia.edu/PaulKrugman
– Noam Chomsky – http://mit.academia.edu/NoamChomsky
- Steven Pinker – http://harvard.academia.edu/StevenPinker
We’re trying to spread the word about Academia.edu as much as possible. It would be terrific if you could visit the site, and add yourself to your department on the tree. If your university is not there, you can add it by clicking on the arrows coming out of the university boxes.
Independent researchers – if you are a researcher that is not associated with a university, I encourage you to add yourself to the "Independent Researchers"
portion of the tree at http://independent.academia.edu
And do spread the word to your friends and colleagues if you can.
CAVEAT: The divulging of passwords is OPTIONAL & NOT RECOMMENDED