[BLOG] Godfrey Gao Cast in City of Bones

I have some really exciting news about my husband (shh, he doesn’t know yet) Godfrey Gao. He has been cast as Magnus Bane in the upcoming blockbuster movie adaption of the best-selling book “City of Bones,” first in the “Mortal Instruments” series – a very popular children/YA book series, maybe some CAPS kids read these?

Check out the official announcement here, it’s quite funny.

There are so many reasons I am excited for this. First and foremost – duh, I love Godfrey Gao. I mean, just look at him! A quick introduction: he’s 27, Taiwanese, raised in Canada, and hailed as the “first Asian male supermodel” following a lucrative deal with Louis Vuitton. He has dabbled in acting, with various parts in Taiwanese dramas.

The second reason I am so happy about this – and this is something you would THINK we could take for granted, but no – secondly, I’m really excited that they cast an Asian actor. News just broke that the blond, blue-eyed Liam Hemsworth (of Hunger Games fame) has been cast as Middle-Eastern legend Ali Baba in Arabian Nights. Really?! Reminds me of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia. The character of Magnus Bane is only briefly mentioned as having Asian features (and being half Indonesian), so it would have been easy for the casting directors to just cast someone Caucasian and call it a day. That they cast a full Asian is impressive.

After all, there was recent controversy sparked by this post about a Broadway play set in China with, um, no Asians in the cast (ok, there was a single Japanese-American in the cast. not a main character). Back in 2008, blockbuster film 21 was based on a real-life story… of a Chinese-American, but played by the very white Jim Sturgess. In fact, most of the main characters from the real events were Asian-American, just not in the film. The producer defended their casting, saying, “Believe me, I would have LOVED to cast Asians in the lead roles, but the truth is, we didn’t have access to any bankable Asian-American actors that we wanted.” which is I suppose a valid point. There were no big-name Asian-American stars… because no one is giving them a chance. They need that first big break. Which brings me to point #3.

The last reason I am so excited about this casting is: I think Godfrey Gao could really make it. I think he really has the potential to break into Hollywood. Hollywood is one realm that Asian Americans really haven’t cracked (another is mainstream professional sports…I have a post on Jeremy Lin coming!). There are really only two major Asian-American actresses in Hollywood, Lucy Liu and Jamie Chung. The only prominent Asian-American actors in Hollywood are…I don’t know, martial artists (like Jackie Chan and Jet Li). But I think Godfrey has what it takes to become a recognized name and face.

And, by “what it takes” I am, unfortunately, not referring to any acting skill. Actually, I’m referring to two very superficial yet important qualities that I believe are implicitly essential for an Asian-American male to make it to the big-time:
1) He is a native speaker of English
2) His appearance fits in with the Western ideal of male beauty and masculinity. Godfrey stands ultra tall at 6’4″, with the buff build of an athlete and a killer jawline. He can even grow (gasp!) facial hair, just look at that omnipresent stubble

(Quick aside – speaking of tall, athletic Taiwanese men – a funny post on why Godfrey Gao should play Jeremy Lin in a biopic)

Overall, I’m now extremely excited for this film! I’ll be honest here. Despite the books apparently being a best-selling series, I had never heard of them until today when I heard about this casting announcement (the other casting doesn’t excite me either. just Godfrey. I’m heartbroken that Alex Pettyfer turned down the role of Jace). I have no desire time to read them, but I have been reading up on Wikipedia what they’re about and the story seems good (sorry, I’m hesitant to sound more enthusiastic because the incestual overtones freak me out).

UPDATE 6/20:

So the news broke yesterday and I noted my surprise that they actually cast a full-Asian actor for a character mentioned in passing as half-Asian. Turns out, a lot of fans were surprised too. And so the (occasionally racist) backlash begins:

But in fact, the author has previously addressed the issue: “Technically, Magnus is biracial. I would be perfectly happy with a biracial actor playing him — but otherwise the option is an Asian actor, not a white actor. It doesn’t matter if any of Magnus’ background is white. Casting him white would erase that part of his background that is Asian. And important.” The full explanation (see here) is very well-written, I would definitely recommend reading.

This entire backlash is very reminiscent of some ugly racism that emerged over the ethnically diverse Hunger Games cast (see here), particularly with regards to Rue. It was appalling and, at risk of sounding over-dramatic, made me lose a little faith in humanity – one claimed to be less saddened by Rue’s tragic death because she was black. What?! She was a beautiful little girl, a wonderful character, and her death was heart-wrenching.

A pretty good op-ed on minorities in media (mostly film)

Anyway. Like I said, breaking Asians into Hollywood is no easy feat. Moviemakers aren’t always willing to give them a chance because, obviously, audience members aren’t always receptive. I stand by my assertion that I think Godfrey has what it takes, though I will add – something I didn’t say yesterday – this isn’t the role I would have chosen to be his Hollywood debut T_T Magnus Bane is an ostentatious, bisexual character who wears lots of glitter and makeup. A lot of Asian actors could actually pull this off quite well, but it’s not really Godfrey’s look. Totally would have preferred something that emphasizes his masculinity and ruggedness. But, uhh, we’ll see how he pulls it off 😛

5 thoughts on “[BLOG] Godfrey Gao Cast in City of Bones

1. Pingback: lustro piotrków trybunalski

2. Pingback: lustra

3. Pingback: “No Asians, Prease” and other WTF! things to say | Once Upon A Gay Nerd