Family Bible. Superfine Edition.

| 10 Comments

New Devotional and Practical Pictorial Family Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments, Apocrypha, Concordance, and Psalms in Metre… . Superfine Edition. (Philadelphia, PA; Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; and Atlanta GA: National Publishing Co., 1879). Gift of Rev. Dr. Stephen White, Princeton’s Episcopal chaplain. Graphic Arts GAX 2008- in process

The King James Bible was the Harry Potter of the nineteenth-century. The family bible might have been the only book purchased for an American home and so, publishers crammed them with additions to make their volume more desirable.

This 1879 edition includes pages with pre-printed photograph holders, space for genealogy, maps, charts, chromolitho-graphed prayers, and 2,500 illustrations.

Also: Illustrations of scenes and incidents in the life of Christ; the cities and towns of the bible; scenes in the life of St. Paul; topographical sketch of Jerusalem and the holy land; the wanderings in the wilderness; illustrations of the tabernacle and Solomon’s temple; scenes in the lives of the patriarchs, prophets and kings of the old testament; illustrations of bible scenes and incidents; animals, birds, insects, etc, of the bible; illustrations of the trees, plants, and flowers of the bible; biographies of the reformers and martyrs, etc.

Together with: Dr. William Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible in which every important scriptural word is full explained, and a complete history of each book of the bible, beautifully illustrated, a history of all the religious denominations of the world, illustrations of the parables of Jesus and proverbs of Solomon, history of the translation of the bible, chronological and other useful tables, treatises, maps, etc., designed to promote and facilitate the study of the sacred scriptures.

10 Comments

I was given this Bible by a lady who just sold us her home.She said she found it in a "burn pile"??? years ago when she was 20 years old.It is an awesome Bible.Any info I should know more about?

HI i have the very same bible but dont really know much about it,i would like to know would you have any web sights where i can find more info on this great bible,kindest regards jackie

Hi, I too just found oneof these bibles amongst old boxes handed down through my family. Also don't havemuch info on it but would like to have it restoredbut not sure the value and don'twant to spend on restoration if it'snot worth it. Any ideas?
Mark

I have also recently came across one of these and I am interested in possibly restoring it. I notice in the middle of the cover on the one pictured above is "C.C.& M.M. Blummer". Does anyone know if this is the original owner of the bible that had their name imprinted on the cover? Mine has "M. & L. Martin" imprinted on the cover.

We have a bible similar to the one on you web.site.The one we have has a pic. of christ and his deciple around him.And inside the cover has 1000 illustrations instead of 2500. If you have any info on this bible.Would you pass it on.

Thanks
Jim

Hi everyone - we too have discovered a huge, old bible - do yours also have yours with "Dr. Wm. Smiths complete Dictionary of the Bible"? Ours is extremely old with a similar design as shown on the web, but there is no info on ours from the publisher Oberholtzer & Co., Berlin, Ontario (now Kitchener, Ontario). We are grateful to have it, and are extemely intrigued. Is this valuable that should be in a museum or a Society for learning? We also ask about who could restore some binding deterioration. Thanks!

We, too, have found a similar old Bible. It is complete with Dr. Wm. Smith's Complete Dictionary and 2500 Illustrations. What I find interesting is that the publisher appears to be John S. Brown, Paris, Ontario. There is no publishing date. I have found additional information concerning the development of publishing in Canada which would indicate that the Bible was not published in Ontario but was distributed by Mr. Brown and he was able to print his name on the frontice piece. Interesting! primarily from an historical perspective.

My grandmother is in possession of one of the bibles pictured - it's the exact one, same publishing company, title, date, etc.

We're wondering how much such a Bible is worth, and I don't really know how I would find out. My email is kprojection AT gmail DOT com if anyone feels like contacting me about it.

I have this bible as well this Bible was the official Bible of the United States and recognized by Congress as such if you look on the bottom of the next page you will see authorized Bible of the Congress 1872

Recent Comments

• Jean-François de Buren: Pages from my Swiss family bible. http://threebeehives.blogspot.com/2009/08/de-buren-family-bible.html read more
  • steven monroe: I have this bible as well this Bible was the read more
  • Eric Mill: My grandmother is in possession of one of the bibles read more
  • Barb: We, too, have found a similar old Bible. It is read more
  • Christina: Hi everyone - we too have discovered a huge, old read more
  • Jim: We have a bible similar to the one on you read more
  • nathan: I have also recently came across one of these and read more
  • Mark: Hi, I too just found oneof these bibles amongst old read more
  • JACKIE: HI i have the very same bible but dont really read more
  • Paula Haney: I was given this Bible by a lady who just read more