In this short video from around 1983, President Bowen discusses Wu Hall, the then-new dining facility for Butler College. The video highlights three elements that played increasingly significant roles in shaping Princeton over the following decades: the support of alumnus Gordon Wu, the residential colleges system, and the architecture of alumnus Robert Venturi.
We don’t know the exact purpose for which this video was created, but it may have been part of the promotional material for A Campaign for Princeton, the fundraising campaign that officially ran from 1982 to 1986. As previously discussed on this blog, A Campaign for Princeton was enormously successful, bringing in an average of $1,000,000 per week at its height.
The Support of Gordon Wu ’58
The Vision of William Bowen *58
The Architecture of Robert Venturi ’47, *50
Apparently the people at Princeton who had put their faith in Venturi were not overly troubled by the controversy his buildings created. To date, his firm has designed five projects on campus: Wu Hall (1983), Lewis Thomas Laboratory (1986), Fisher and Bendheim Halls (1990), Schultz Laboratory (1993) and Frist Campus Center (2000), as well as portions of the Princeton Club of New York(1990 and 1991).
— Christie Peterson, University Archives Project Archivist
This VHS video is part of the University Archives’ Historical Audiovisual Collection (item no. 1327). Images are taken from this film.