This blog includes text and images drawn from historical sources that may contain material that is offensive or harmful. We strive to accurately represent the past while being sensitive to the needs and concerns of our audience. If you have any feedback to share on this topic, please either comment on a relevant post, or use our Ask Us form to contact us.

This Week in Princeton History for September 5-11

In this week’s installment of our recurring series, the arrival of undergraduate women draws attention, a recent graduate reflects on the contrast between life as a student and life on a war’s front lines, and more.

September 6, 1969—Amid media fanfare and besieged by unsolicited attention from their male peers, undergraduate women arrive on campus.

Clay Fowler ‘72 helping his sister, Dee Dee Fowler ‘73, move in to her new dorm in September 1969. Dee Dee was one of the women who arrived during the first year Princeton University admitted female undergraduate degree candidates. Historical Photograph Collection, Campus Life Series (AC112).

September 8, 1875—Reflecting on the time he has spent in America, Princeton’s president, James McCosh, tells students, “Physiologists tell us that in seven years every particle of matter in the body is renewed. Now I have been seven years in this place, and I feel as if I had become thoroughly an American. During these seven years I have become identified out and out with Princeton College.”

September 9, 1917—Robert Lee Nourse, Jr., Class of 1917, writes to his parents from “The Front” in France.

And only four months ago I was living the idle, dreamy life of the student…During these four months I have lived two lives; I have experienced many times the content of the other twenty-one years. … I have found that in the ideals, the life and death of this great War, that which I had thought gone—has come to life in an almost unreal intensity, an intensity that must dim the “far off things.”

September 10, 1761—The planned drawing for the College of New Jersey Lottery to support Princeton does not take place today, because, as the Pennsylvania Gazette will report, the managers have “many of their Tickets in distant places,” and “are forced to postpone…”

For the previous installment in this series, click here.

Fact check: We always strive for accuracy, but if you believe you see an error, please contact us.