This Week in Princeton History for January 17-23

In this week’s installment of our recurring series, heavy snow holds up the mail, the McCosh family host a party for students, and more.

January 17, 1995—Paul Muldoon, director of the Creative Writing Program, wins the T. S. Eliot Prize for Poetry.

January 18, 1796—Israel Crane (Class of 1797) complains to the faculty that “Mr. Harvey of the same class” “laid a nuisance at his door last Saturday night.” The faculty agree to investigate.

January 19, 1836—The Boston Traveler reports that it took 10 horses and 10 men four hours to get from Kingston to Princeton to deliver the mail (about 3 miles) because of the heavy snow.

January 23, 1879—Isabella and James McCosh have the senior class over to their new house. Local women, as well as some from out of town, assist with hosting the reception. The students are especially impressed with the mansion’s library.

Home of Isabella and James McCosh, ca. 1880s. Historical Photograph Collection, Campus Life Series (AC111), Box SP05, Image 1240.

For the previous installment in this series, click here.

Fact check: We always strive for accuracy, but if you believe you see an error, please contact us.

History of Women at Princeton University

Written by Vanessa Snowden

For much of its history, Princeton University had the reputation of being an “old-boys’ school.” Starting in the fall of 1969, Princeton became co-educational, and nine women transferred into the Class of 1970, with slightly greater numbers in the two subsequent classes. Women who matriculated as freshmen in 1969 graduated in the Class of 1973, the first undergraduate class that included women for all four undergraduate years. However, the first steps towards co-education came as early as 1887, with the founding of Evelyn College. From its inception, this women’s institution was associated with Princeton University, and it was hoped that the link would be similar to the Radcliffe and Harvard University relationship. Unfortunately, Evelyn College closed in 1897, due to financial problems and a lack of support from Princeton.

For the next half-century, women instead made their presence known in unofficial positions. Wives and daughters of Princeton faculty and administrators succeeded in exerting significant influence on campus life as advocates for students as well as assistants in research. Isabella Guthrie McCosh, wife of James McCosh, the 11th president of Princeton, was deeply involved in protecting the health and welfare of Princeton students. As a result of her unflagging dedication, the campus infirmary was built and named in her honor.

McCosh_Reminisces_1935_AC175_Box_2

“Reminiscences of Mrs. McCosh,” June 1935. Auxiliary to the Isabella McCosh Infirmary Records (AC175), Box 2.

Women were also important forces in the academic world. Margaret Farrand Thorp, wife of English professor, Willard Thorp, often assisted with her husband’s research while simultaneously producing her own independent work. Fittingly, she wrote a book entitled Female Persuasion: Six Strong-Minded Women, which was published in 1949. Speaking of her lot as a female at Princeton, Thorp once quipped, “We who practice the pleasant profession of faculty wife are often amused by Princeton University’s apparent hostility to the feminine sex. Hostility is probably too strong a word. The situation is, rather, that for the University, the feminine sex does not exist.” (See William K. Selden, Women of Princeton, p. 33.)
Continue reading