A View from an Uninformed User

In regards to the new facebook hoax status:

“In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention). For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times!

(Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communiqué, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents and/or any staff under Facebook’s direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1 1-308-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).

Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates.”

I decided to interview one of my friends who recently posted this on her newsfeed. I wanted to get her perspective of why she posted and how she felt after she knew it was totally false. In order to preserve her identity, I simply refer to her as a friend.

Q: You just recently posted on facebook about the company changing the terms and services, what made you post this?

A: “I posted that status just to be careful, in case I really needed to copyright or whatever it is that the terms said.”

Q: Did you read your post before posting it on facebook?

A: “I read half of it then posted it.”

Q: Did you think to go to facebook and look at the terms and service yourself?

A: “Nope. I really had no desire to do so.”

Q: Now, that you know this is false, what would you have done differently before you posted?

A: “I probably would have read it or checked the terms.”

Q: Have you ever read the facebook terms and services?

A: “Never. I don’t care too.”

Q: If not, then why did you have the desire to post in regards to a change in terms and services?

A: “Just in case they would delete my page or something.”

Q: If facebook did change the terms and services why would you think your posts would protect your account from any of the changes?

A: “I really just copied what everyone else was doing.”

Q: Would you remain a facebook user if facebook changed the terms and services?

A: “I would probably remain a user. Facebook is too much a part of my life now.”

Q: What’s primary reason for being a facebook user?

A: “I use facebook just to interact and keep in touch with friends/family.”

Q: What do you like most about facebook’s features?

A: “I like having the ability to talk to friends all over the country.”

Q: What do you dislike the most about facebook’s features?

A: “The lack of privacy and trouble it causes.”

I feel as if this interview reveals why the “hoax” made it to everyone’s newsfeed. It’s the facebook users, like my friend, who are concerned, yet not concerned enough to research the problem that intensified the situation. If she simply went to the facebook terms link or searched in google she would have saved herself the embarrassment of the ignorant post. I find it interesting that she was very worried that “I posted that status just to be careful in case I really needed to copyright or whatever”, however she has “never” looked at the terms and has “no desire to”. In addition, at the end she mentioned the privacy issues regarding facebook. Maybe if she read through the terms and privacy regulations there would no longer be issues.