Fun and Fin

I wanted to see tears, but I couldn’t have expected the final response from my students.

Last Friday we decided to have an hour and a half share fest instead of normal precept. This involved talking about our expectations before SOS, our experiences during the program, and our goals after the summer. Since this was the last precept, we understood what we were doing: we were creating the perfect storm for ugly group weeping.

The plan went swimmingly. Soon several of the students were sniffling messes, laughing through tears about their favorite moments, often times calling out us teachers on aspects of our styles:

Deborah (from my earlier post) was quick to chime in. “Arianna, to be honest, I wanted to sleep in your class during the first week of PiJ. However, your class improved very quickly.” Other students murmured in agreement, much to Arianna’s chagrin. However, it was clear that they were only able to tease her because of how close of friends they had become. Another student wrote to Arianna, “I love you, and I need you.” She would later change her train to ticket to wish Arianna a prolonged three-day goodbye.

Neither Reuben nor I were spared collective teasing. It was almost universally commented that at first Reuben seemed serious and handsome, but later was found to be “humorous” (and still handsome). One student mentioned that she counted the amount of times Reuben said OK in class (161 times), and proceeded to imitate his laugh. Soon the whole class was forming a cacophony of Reuben-like chortles. Of course, “The Reubes” himself was quick to join in.

As for myself, one of my students was quick to note, “Nick, your handwriting is very very bad.” I thought this was a fair criticism, as flashbacks to Ms. Dinoto’s 5th grade class filled my mind, reminding me of my blatant ineptitude at handwriting. “And, when I first met you, I thought you were a playboy.” As the class chimed in agreement with her, Arianna and Reuben proceeded to die of laughter. Disclaimer: I am in no way a playboy, and I vehemently protest said label. Nonetheless, the nostalgic dragon powwow was an unforgettable experience.

As I reflect now on the summer as whole, I can’t believe how much has happened. After the countless days of late-night journaling and greasy meals shared with teachers and students, I feel I have changed. I have made some close friends, and I’m on track to being the person I want to be. Thank you PiA and SOS for the best summer of my life.

Perhaps the most poignant moment of the evening came from a student who had slipped a tissue underneath her glasses to create a paper veil that shielded her tears and reddened eyes from the class. “I will only say two things, otherwise I will cry,” she said shakily. “I love you all, and I’m getting a gmail.”

Like her, I experienced a tremendous amount of love from my students and fellow teachers, and I look forward to a future with these people in my life. As I said to my saddened students when I left, “this is not goodbye, this is only the beginning.”

-Nick