La Maison Aubert was opened in 1829 by Charles Philipon (1802-1862), his half-sister Marie-Francoise-Madeleine Aubert, and his brother-in-law Gabriel Aubert. Initially, the shop sold lithographs by Philipon and his friends. Their first caricature magazine was La Silhouette (1829), followed by La Caricature (1830) and Le Charivari (1832).
In 1836, Philipon acquired a “brevet” or license so that La Maison Aubert could run its own lithographic press. When the July Monarchy ended in 1848, Philipon led the way into the second Republic with Journal pour rire, and then, Petit journal pour rire. Arguably the most popular Parisian journal of the day, the latter title continued through the end of the century and into the next.
Félix Nadar (born Gaspard-Félix Tournachon 1820-1910) served as the editor, as well as illustrator, for Petit journal. The other principal artists included Cham (1818-1879), André Gill (1840-1885), Henri Monnier (1799 or 1805-1877), Bertall (1820-1882), Alfred Grévin (1827-1892), Gilbert Randon (1814-1994), Gripp, and Félix Régamey (1844-1907).
Sincere thanks to the Friends of the Princeton University Library for this wonderful new acquisition.