6 thoughts on “Peter B. Kenen

1. Alejandro Justiniano

I was very fortunate to be Peter’s teaching assistant for 3 years. Fortunate because I got to know a wonderful human being and a superb economist. Peter you will be dearly missed. Rest in peace.

Alejandro

2. Charles Seymour

I worked for Peter at Columbia University in the 1960s as an Analyst. The research that he requested I do involved the computer and I did both analysis and programming which changed the direction of my work. Later I moved to Watson Labs at Columbia doing Project Management, Systems Analysis, and Programming.

Later I moved to Princeton University (separate from Professor Kenen) and was Director of Management Information Systems before I retired. The direction that Peter set in motion was the focal point of the rest of my work life.

3. Bernard [Bernie] Wolf

Peter chaired the session where I presented my first scholarly paper at a major conference (Econometric Society at the Allied Social Sciences Association Meetings in 1973). He took a keen interest in young scholars and was extremely kind in pointing how he thought a paper could be most effectively delivered by one who was inexperienced. He suggested reading the paper, but knowing the content so well that one could maintain almost full eye contact with the audience. I never forgot what he taught me and was always grateful to Peter for making the effort to help a young economist just starting out, who was specializing in international economics. I met Peter at many subsequent conferences and always enjoyed our stimulating conversations. Peter will be greatly missed, not only as a highly effective and influential economist, but as a wonderful person.

4. Stanley Black

Peter came to Princeton just as I was leaving, but he recognized the value of my work and published it in the series of the International Finance Section. I will be forever grateful to him for his willingness to support my work. We had many delightful exchanges at conferences over the next 30 years. He left a mark on the profession that will be valued for a long time.

5. Dennis Warner

Professor Kenen came to Princeton the year I began my graduate studies. I had the great good fortune to be his research assistant for two years and then a joint author. He had a wonderful ability to see through the quantitative fog and discern the key patterns and events. He was also an excellent tutor in the intricacies of bluefish cleaning. A skill I learned and was encouraged to practice in his back yard after a number of fishing expeditions out of Belmar. He will be missed.

6. John Cirigliano

Professor Kenen directed the Economic Research Bureau at Columbia University, a seminar and research platform located on the top floor of a rickety office building at 2929 Broadway across from Columbia’s main campus during the early 1960’s.
    As an undergraduate the name of the 3 year job I was privileged to hold at ERB was seminar assistant (assembling and reproducing seminar papers and other materials); the education I received as a result of being around Prof. Kenen and his crowd amounted to a life of research and data and primary sources previously unimagined.
    The radio broadcast of the news of President Kennedy’s assassination was received as we were busy with an upcoming afternoon seminar; the rest of that day a blur for us, a tragedy for Prof. Kenen who had played a key economic role for Pres. Kennedy..