Tigers of the Week: Nan Hayworth ’81 and Terri Sewell ’86

In an election season filled with fresh faces, at least two new Princeton alumni have earned seats in the House of Representatives.

7172-hayworth-thumb-120x120-7171.jpg
Nan Hayworth ’81 (Courtesy nanhayworth.com)

Nan Sutter Hayworth ’81, a Republican in New York’s 19th district, won her race against Democratic Rep. John Hall. Hayworth is a retired ophthalmologist and former PAW contributor (she wrote an essay for our 2006 Reunions Guide). After receiving the news that she was headed for Capitol Hill, she told The Journal News that her victory “belongs to a country that is desperate for change and eager for the change we have made here in District 19. We did it with darn hard work.” Hayworth had campaigned on a platform aimed at spurring economic growth with free-market policies.

7176-sewell-thumb-120x120-7175.jpg
Terri Sewell ’86 (Courtesy sewellforcongress.com)

Terri Sewell ’86, a Democrat in Alabama’s seventh district, also stressed economics in her campaign, listing job creation as her lead issue (unemployment in her district far exceeds the national average). Sewell’s win was historic: She will be the state’s first African-American woman to serve in Congress. As Sewell told The Selma Times-Journal, her family has a tradition of political firsts. “I have a wonderful role model in my mother,” she said. “Some people ask me, ‘Where do you get your tenacity?’ My mom was the first African-American woman to sit on the city council of Selma and was also the person who gave me my first book. I traveled through those books long before I ever had this chance.”

For a full list of alumni election results, click here.

Do you have a nominee for Tiger of the Week? Let us know. All alumni qualify. PAW’s Tiger of the Week is selected by our staff, with help from readers like you.

4 thoughts on “Tigers of the Week: Nan Hayworth ’81 and Terri Sewell ’86

1. Barbara McElroy

I was unaware that attending medical school made one an indentured servant to one’s practice. Somehow don’t think so.

As it happens, Nan made the decision to enter politics several years after leaving her medical practice, and she spent much of her so-called retirement working almost full-time as a volunteer for Princeton. Thank you, Nan.

2. Sandy Kramer

Where is it written that society deserves consideration for one’s personal life choices? Nan Hayworth is entitled to retire when and for whatever reason(s) she may choose.. Furthermore, nowhere is it stated that she received training with public funds being involved.

3. Another Nan (Class of '77)

An intriguing point. I note that, in abandoning medicine for politics, she is acting in the tradition (for good or ill?) of some other alumni… notably Bill Frist ’74.

4. charles saydah

If Nan Sutter Hayworth is a member of the Class of 1981, that means she’s perhaps 51 years old. She’s also identified as an ophthalmalogist, which means society spent a goodly sum of money to give her a medical education. Society puts a high value on medicine and medical training. It scrutinizes those who would be members of the medical fraternity with remarkable care. A good argument can be made that the skills of an ophthalmologist as far more beneficial to society that those of a politician.
    I wonder how Nan Sutter Hayworth justifies retiring from a profession that society so values for another enterprise of much more questionable utility? Considering the public wealth invested into her medical education, doesn’t she have an obligation to continue her practice?