goodbye Princeton, hello Miami

It was reading period. Then all papers were turned in and it was finals. Then PiA orientation cut right into finals. Then finals were over and I spent 5 days hiking in the woods training to be an OA leader. And then reunions happened and all of a sudden there were 20,000 new faces on campus. And now I’m finally back home in Miami.

With nothing to do with my time except go to the gym, beach, pool, and read, Jishou crosses my mind about every 5 minutes. It seems so close yet so far away. But when I open my passport and see my Chinese visa, I am reminded that it’s real. And it is happening. And I will be there before I know it. I’ve heard Cam, Eliot, and past SOSers experiences in Jishou. I’ve googled Jishou multiple times and stalked pictures of it over and over again. I’ve even begun looking at our PiA China guide and attempting to learn some Chinese phrases. But despite all of this information, I still just don’t know what to expect.

But here’s what I do know. I know I am and have been looking forward to this summer more than anything else. I know that my flights to and from China are going to be the longest flights and most layovers I have ever had to take. I can confidently say it will probably be one of the hottest and stickiest summers I have ever spent. And as for myself, I know that I plan on living in the moment when I’m in China, trying new foods, learning as much as I can about Chinese culture, and getting to know an amazing group of SOSers and students over these next two months.

Hoping to be a few shades tanner when leaving Miami.

Miryam