Overflowing with Excitement

This summer is going to be awesome. I’m 100% sure!

To say that I’m “excited” for Jishou is a huge understatement. Thrilled is more like it. I have to resist the urge to jump up and down when I describe my summer plans to people. That might sound like an exaggeration, but I distinctly remember wanting to jump out of my seat during the information session after Fiona had told me more about SoS and I had read some of the SoS blogs from summer 2011. Now that I have gotten to know my fellow SoSers, our amazing co-leaders, and the energetic PiA staff, I’m positive that Summer of Service is going to change my life—if it hasn’t already!

I can’t wait to be in a trying environment, where things are not easily accessible. I can’t wait to try my hand at teaching English and form lasting friendships with my students. I can’t wait to experience Chinese culture outside of Beijing and eat amazing Chinese food again. I can’t wait to create hilarious memories with my fellow SoSers that we’ll be laughing about for years to come.

Bring on the inconveniences. Bring on the obstacles. Bring on brushing my teeth with water from a water bottle. Bring on a classroom full of bright-eyed students. Bring on Wild China adventures, Jishou adventures, laughing so hard that I cry, difficult moments that make me want to cry. Bring on everything.

I’m trying to have no expectations, and I think I have been successful so far. Well, 95% successful—I do expect SoS to be mind-blowing.

Woot! Woot! China, here we come!
Alyssa