No Country for Slack-Jaw

I have inadvertently entered an uncountable number of staring contests with hundreds of strangers over the past week. But despite my domestic title as reigning SoS slack-jaw champion, these duals are usually not pre-meditated. More often than not, I’m quick to forfeit the impromptu matches because a smile or a wave or even a nihao is just too tempting. These may or may not be reciprocated, but no matter. I have absolutely zero plans to work on my poker face.

Being constantly invited into staring contests offers some unique opportunities and challenges. For example, photography is often a precarious conflict of interest. I get this rare opportunity to consistently take photos with my subjects peering directly at my camera, and I don’t even have to ask! I should probably consider setting up a portrait studio. What this also means, however, is that there is rarely even a chance of taking photos of anyone not looking at the camera. Two months of portrait photography, I realize, might start to get old.

Similarly, if I ever feel like starting a conversation or if find myself needing to ask a question, our convoy probably already has the attention of the entire vicinity. So many friends will be made. Yesterday, when stepping onto a bridge filled with forty eyes tracking every movement that I made, it was neither difficult nor awkward when I wanted to strike up conversation with these future friends. In fact, we ended up talking about the reason why Americans can look very different from each other, how it’s sometimes hard to determine where people are from, and the rapid development of the Chinese countryside. But this has a flipside, too. When engaged in a staring contest, its quite important to minimize extraneous movement. I’ve found from experience that there’s never a chance to take a cute misstep, sneak a stealthy adjustment of the spanx, or do anything similarly incriminating. For while my opponents would likely remain transfixed, mortification would pull me right out of the game. If I could blush, I certainly would. (And that would throw us all for a loop).

But alas. I will dual ‘til the end. It’s somehow comforting to know that our friends here in rural (and not-so-rural) China find me as interesting as I find them. The cards have been evenly dealt. Furthermore, I have no qualms about appearing to be a member of some strange species, an enigmatic character from a foreign TV show, or just a laughable tourist. Everything feels right, as it should be. There’s no want and no need. I can’t wait to get up tomorrow and once again take my seat on the bus, ready to stare unflinchingly at the beautiful countryside.

If she is willing to accept my challenge, that is.

~Jessica