An education

Some things you will learn as an SoS-er (based on my experiences this week):

1. Eating from four different birthday cakes in the arc of two days is perfectly fine. In fact, I’d highly recommend it.

2. Speaking of cake – at Chinese birthday parties, you don’t just eat it. You smear it everywhere. On your face. On everyone else’s face. And you will have a blast.

3. “Oh my Lady GaGa!” sounds much cooler (and more dramatic) than “Oh my goodness!”

4. Birthday lunches with teachers and students can be both emotionally and mentally draining, and may or may not involve tears.

5. Your students are incredibly gifted at arts and crafts (I’ve never seen so many paper hearts in my life).

6. When practicing calligraphy, you will experience the following: frustration, momentary satisfaction, dismay, elation, and an immense feeling of calm. All at the same time.

7. Your students trust you unconditionally. They will pour their hearts out to you, and sometimes, you won’t know what to say. You will feel grateful for every thought they share, and you will want to help them in any way possible.

8. The number eight is lucky in China, so you will become more conscious of incorporating it into all situations (such as writing a blog post list).

9. It will be hard for you to imagine a life without AJB, the stairs to the teaching building, the unmistakable smell of China, and your students.

10. This experience has, without a doubt, changed your life.