Final Countdown

It feels like it wasn’t too long ago that students were meeting us at the Jishou train station and welcoming us to China, yet we’ll be going back to that train station in less than a week to start making our way home. As the students love to say: time flies when you’re having fun. This week has gone by so quickly, so I’m going to take this post to do a recap of the past couple days.

On Wednesday we had the PIJ 2012 Summer Olympics! Although I spent Monday and Tuesday running around like a crazy person trying to finalize everything for the games, everything worked out. Every level was full of spirit, and all of the students seemed to have a great time during all of the events, especially the relay. I wasn’t sure how well the Strong Man competition was going to be received, but Cameron and Nick did a phenomenal job running it, and I have to say, I have never seen a more intense game of limbo in my life than I did on Wednesday.
The final scores for the day were: Unicorns – 80 points, Dragons – 55 points, Lions – 50 points, Phoenixes – 25 points.

Thursday was our last day of precept, and that afternoon also marked our time for individuals session with the students. Alyssa, Alex, and I had more of an impromtu English corner with our Phoenixes. Britney had made us all bracelets with three really cool Chinese knots in the middle of them. One knot represented a teacher, another represented Britney, and the middle knot represented the Phoenixes. I was so excited when she gave them to us! It was so sweet of her. She also taught me how to make the bracelets – I can’t wait to try it out for myself later.

For dinner on Thursday I met up with Reuben, Nick, and several students for what the teachers thought was going to be a picnic. The three of us were under the impression that we were going to pick up some dinner to go, and then eat it on the field at the middle school. The students just laughed at us, and told us that a picnic is for eating snacks…after eating dinner. Eating with the students is one of my absolute favorite things to do, so I had no problems with sitting around chilling after dinner. The girls got us lotus root, tofu, and duck collarbone (? Nobody can seem to agree on what part of the duck it is…) to munch on after dinner and before English corner. Duck collarbone may sound strange, but my advice to you is to just go for it. It is absolutely delicious.

Today was effectively the last day of school! All of the students had their final exams today, and there is no more official learning to be done next week. Today was also the day of the speech contest! I had the pleasure of watching the Phoenixes and Unicorns compete in the morning, and judged the Dragons in the afternoon. Only two Phoenixes competed in the contest today. I can’t even begin to describe how proud I am of Ryan and Dada. The two of them have improved so much over the summer, and today really showcased that for me at the contest. Although neither Phoenix placed at the contest, they (and the rest of my Phoenixes) are still number one in my heart! (Is that enough Velveeta for you, home office?)

Anyway, after the awards ceremony for the contest, I went out with some teachers and students to celebrate Andy’s birthday! We ate at a delicious hot pot restaurant and then went to a bakery for some cake. Tomorrow I’m heading off to do a homestay, Monday is Halloween, Tuesday is the day of the Talent Show, and Wednesday is graduation.

Everything is going by so quickly and I’m not ready to leave yet…