IT’S ALL A JUGGLING ACT!

Life as a college student is hard. But life as a college student at Princeton can seem to be even harder. I often find myself wondering just how I find time to do the things I have to do (attend class, work), should do ( eat , sleep, laundry, etc.), and I want to do (participate in extracurricular and student events, attend Career Service events, etc). At times, it feels like there really aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done and still have time for myself, which is necessary to keeping one’s level of sanity during these college years. It is important to find balance in your hectic life by finding a system that allows you to plan how you will “juggle” all of the week’s activities accordingly.
I can only speak for myself, but one of the greatest inventions ever has to be the ….. CALENDAR! With technology being so widely accessible, it is very likely you have access to some sort of calendar. Most cell phones, computers, and even wall bulletin boards come equipped with ways to organize chaos. I don’t have a very calendar-friendly phone, so I opt to use iCAL (calendar program offered to MAC users). I love this program because it syncs with my iPod calendar, which is very useful when I am on the go and want to quickly check my schedule. However, making an effective schedule takes precedence over the mere construction of one.
Here are some steps that I follow when planning out my time:
1. Think about priorities and events that are unchangeable. Most class, precept, work, and club meeting schedules don’t change on a weekly basis, so put these on your calendar first. This will allow you to know what times you are NOT available each week. Note meeting locations. This will give you a sense of how much time you have to travel between engagements. Mark these using a distinct color.
2. Be sure to mark events that change times on a weekly basis, but happen every week. Because I am in a dance group, I know that I will have rehearsals every week. I make sure to keep up with my dance company’s master calendar, noting updated rehearsal times and other company engagements.
3. Note deadlines. Knowing when assignments are due will help you acknowledge when having a night free to do work might be better for you academically. Trying to attend three events the night before a big paper is due might not be the best choice.
4. See what events you can attend giving regard to your available time. Try separating events into categories. Note whether an event is a “DEFINITE” or “MAYBE.” By categorizing events like this, you will better remember what it is you want to do.
5. COMMIT. The most important part of having a calendar is pledging to use it strictly. Sometimes external factors may cause you to have to rearrange your schedule, but having a general guideline for how your day looks will be really useful.
Personally, this can be stressful. On Mondays- Fridays I am occupied, on average, from 10am to 4:30 pm by “unchangeable” activities. This means that I have very limited time in my schedule to do other things. However, I look for events and activities that I can attend after these hours. For example, Career Services knows that many students are busy between “workday hours” and often has many events that start from 4:30 pm and onwards. Click here to look at the upcoming events. Once you find events that interest you, take into account your schedule and what works for you. On October 7th, 2010 at 4:30 pm, I will be attending the IMAGINE speaker series with Jennie Thompson ’90 as she speaks about her career in the media industry. Looking at my calendar, I know that Thursday evenings are a great time for me to attend events such as these. I marked this as a “DEFINITE” on my calendar because I have a strong interest in the media industry and know I would truly benefit from attending. Another event that happens later in the evening (a great time for busy students like me) is the “From Graduation to Corporation” event with author Andy Teach. Because it begins at 7:00 pm, even more students can come. I know that 4:30 event times may not work for everyone; especially for people who are on athletic teams (My roommate is an athlete).
So really, the key to being a student here is knowing how to plan, execute, and commit to a schedule! The next time you have some free time, try planning out your week. Seek out information about events and activities and be sure to add them to your calendar. As a student, you can always make time to attend those events that really interest you. School shouldn’t just be about doing the “unchangeable” things in your schedule. It should also be about making the time to explore new opportunities!