5 thoughts on “Delia Graff Fara

1. Harold T. Hodes

It was wonderful having Delia as a colleague during her years at Cornell. I learned a lot from conversation with her and from her writings; and it was always fun to interact with her. Her early death was a terrible loss for me, and of course for her family and the rest of the universe.

2. Brennan N Robbins

Professor Fara was an incredible teacher – her intro to formal logic class was my favorite class at Princeton. One of the most impactful teachers I’ve ever had. I’m so sorry to hear of her loss.

3. Christian Say

My logic course with Professor Fara was one of the most impactful classes of my Princeton career. I have fond memories of staying after class working at the blackboard with her. She was a smiling, joyful, patient teacher, no matter how puzzled, stubborn, or frustrating I was. She will be missed.

4. Leah A. Ghiradella

Although I was lucky enough to spend some time at Princeton in 2007-08 as a Mid-Career Fellow, I never had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Fara, whose work on vagueness I had read. Then today I read the NY Times piece on Dr. Fara in The Lives They Lived, and now I am in tears. May her memory be a blessing.

5. Greta Singer

I knew Delia’s family before she was born and it was a shock to see that she had died. I was there when she applied to Harvard as an undergrad and I remember her as a lovely child, a beautiful woman and a very smart person. We haven’t seen her for more than 20 years since our daughter died in 1996. It is always terrible when a young person dies, a scholar, a mother and wife and I just wanted to say how sad her death makes me and my remaining children. I hope her mother Marion sees this and knows how much we are feeling after we learned this awful news.