Howard Francis Taylor

Howard Francis Taylor, an emeritus professor of sociology and a pioneering scholar on race and intelligence testing, died on March 21, 2023. He was 83.

4 thoughts on “Howard Francis Taylor

1. Donnell Butler

I write this in loving memory of Dr. Howard Taylor. My fondest memories of Howard in the classroom was as his Sociology Research Methods teaching assistant. I had the privilege of witnessing firsthand how he masterfully leveraged his expertise to ignite the flames of critical thinking within his students’ hearts. He nurtured a good-humored yet intellectual environment that encouraged us all to question the status quo, challenge conventional norms, and strive for a more equitable world. In his classes or at local eateries around town like the Annex or Hoagie Haven, amongst undergraduate or graduate students, he fostered captivating arenas of lively debates, where intellectual curiosity flourished under his gentle guidance.

Howard had an extraordinary talent for valuing our unique perspectives and experiences while also encouraging us to apply our knowledge conscientiously to address pressing societal challenges. When I look back on how he inspired my research and those of the students in his classes, I see a common thread among us to use the sociological imagination to empower voices often silenced by society or to expand access to opportunities for marginalized populations.

As I bid farewell to a remarkable scholar and compassionate human being, I want to send heartfelt condolences to his wife Pat and his family. I will cherish the legacy Dr. Howard Taylor leaves behind. His commitment to promoting critical thinking and empowering young people to use their intellect as a force for good will continue to resonate from his students to their students and for generations to come. Rest in peace and power, dear mentor; I’ll see you at the crossroads.

Donnell J. Butler, Ph.D. *09

2. Lee Blair

Howard was my thesis advisor in 1981. He was able to get me to take my thesis seriously, while still letting me fly on my own without a lot of interference. My topic was unusual. I don’t believe anyone had done this kind of work on Rastafarianism at Princeton before. I’m not sure Howard really knew about them, but he was patient. He made sure my thesis would be able to withstand scrutiny. He stressed the importance of attribution and direct sources. He helped me figure out how to add sources that sociologists would trust. I think I knew he had passed, but this is an opportunity for me to give him a thank you. Rest in Power….❤️‍

3. Deborah Kaple

I was a graduate student in the Sociology Dept when Howard was teaching his sociology classes. I met him in Green Hall (he was nearly always there) and once we became a bit acquainted, he asked me to be his teaching assistant. I went to all of the Howard’s lectures because he was my boss and more than that, he was a great lecturer. He was personable, comfortable on stage and happy when surrounded by students. What a great introduction to teaching! Later, I introduced him to my father from rural Ohio, and the two Ohioans became very fond of each other. Howard was a one-of-kind-professor, and a wonderful person. My sincere condolences to Pat, their daughter and all their relatives.

4. Thandi Onami

Professor Taylor was one of my favorite professors at Princeton. Although I only took one class with him, I learned so much from such a gifted and engaging scholar. Condolences to family and friends.