Anthony Morris Family Tree

| 3 Comments

Anthony Morris Family Tree, compiled by Anthony Saunders Morris, lithographed by L. Haugg, 1861. Graphic Arts division (GA) 2009- in process

Anthony Saunders Morris (1803-1885) must have had great interest in the history of his family because in the 1860s, he began compiling a complete Morris family tree. When he succeeded in documenting nine generations of male decedents, he hired lithographer Louis Haugg (1856-1894), one of Philadelphia’s leading printmakers, to draw the family tree in its entirety.

The result is this massive sixteen-plate panorama of an actual tree (approximately six by five feet), which holds all the names of the Morris family. Note that the men are the branches that continue the lineage and the women the foliage, only good for decoration.

Printed by F. Bourquin and Company on Chestnut Street, it is unclear how large an edition Morris commissioned. No other copy of this print is currently recorded.

3 Comments

my friend and I was cleaning out his late father's shed and found this print. Is there any value to the print. The top part of the print is bad shape but after about 6 to 8" it is in great shape. thank you

Steven Bridges posted earlier... This was found in my dad's shed. It is damaged at the top, but all of the names are completely legible. I would like to know more about it. Thanks, Kevin McMullin, Bear, DE

Just wanted to know where you got the photo's of the Anthony Morris Family Tree.
Could you please email me sometime.

Recent Comments

• Jeffrey Welsh: Just wanted to know where you got the photo's of read more
  • Kevin McMullin: Steven Bridges posted earlier... This was found in my dad's read more
  • STEPHEN BRIDGES: my friend and I was cleaning out his late father's read more