You: 2.0

One of the ethical topics we’ve touched on in class is the idea of being a better version of yourself on Facebook. What are the risks and benefits of this phenomenon, and what are the implications?

Pros:

• Reputation Improving/Maintaining: Whether we like it or not, Facebook has a large influence on our reputations, not only online but also in real life. Facebook, then, can easily be used as a tool for maintaining a good reputation and also improving a lesser reputation.
  • Being a Role Model: This was the first reason that popped into my head, and the one which I identify with most. I assume that many of us held leadership positions for various clubs and organizations in high school. Personally, I always felt obligated to uphold a certain standard of behavior since I was deemed a role model for younger students. While I tried to uphold this standard in real life, it’s no secret that an easy way to maintain behavioral standards is through one’s Facebook reputation. By posting inspirational, funny, or meaningful statuses rather than crude or profane ones, it’s easy to be perceived as someone who in real life very rarely speaks crudely of profanely.
  • Family Matters: If they feel comfortable, one should be able to be Facebook friends with the family and keep in touch easily. One consequence of being Facebook friends with family members is that they can influence your online persona. A benefit of being able to be different online is that one can be Facebook friends with family members (and alter their privacy settings) so that their lesser decisions remain hidden.

Cons:

• Being “Fake”/Nongenuine: The most obvious problem with being a “better you” on Facebook is that one is not being honest. For those that exaggerate their online persona more than others, it might even feel like they’re lying. And personality is not the only piece that gets “edited” – these days it’s all too easy to add a filter, to crop, or to remove blemishes from pictures.
  • The Real You Doesn’t Match: I have a friend that posts hilarious Facebook statuses, but isn’t all that funny in real life. He’s mentioned before, “people who only know me on Facebook must think I’m hilarious.” Aside from the other ethical issue of him adding people whom he does not know in real life, there’s something powerful behind the idea that your real-life personality might be unrecognizable in comparison to your online personality. If I know I’m going to meet someone, say at a conference or an internship, I will add them on Facebook and speculate about their appearance and personality, making assumptions without ever having met them in real life.

What other Pros & Cons are there to being a “better you” online? Please feel free to comment and add to this list!

One thought on “You: 2.0

1. I think that Facebook is actually an accurate reflection of who you are in real life. Your online friends will obviously resemble your friends in real life, and from this one can reconstruct what circles you associate yourself with. Although we obviously attempt to glorify our online persona, there is no mistaking what kind of person we are. In my experience, the information on one’s Facebook closely correlates with one’s personality. I’m not quite sure if this is a pro or a con – probably somewhere in the middle.