Gamification: productive or destructive?

According to Wikipedia, Gamification is the use of game mechanics and techniques in non-game contexts in order to encourage people to adopt them, or to influence how they are used.  Although many prominent app developers poke fun of this concept, “Clickification”, I believe that there are certain ways to utilize gamification in a healthy and productive way. There is a legitimate reason Cow Clicker and other apps calling for the completion of mundane tasks have reached such great popularity. Users obtain satisfaction upon completing a task and ultimately completing it in a superior way. The simple tedious tasks become worth it when you recognize your crops in your farm are slightly more abundant than your neighbor’s farm. Gamification can be an extremely powerful tool if your motivation matches the possible outcome.

For example, in class I used the metaphor of a “jar full of marbles”. In order to teach me about hard work and responsibility my dad provided me with this metaphor. After every run, lift, practice, late night workout, or study session my dad said you were putting a marble into your jar.  Soon my jar would be full and you would empty  it and continue this process until I reached my goals. I was given no material prize for completing my task or filling my jar. Instead, I felt extremely satisfied with knowing that at some point I will have more marbles then my opponent and that will help me succeed and reach my lofty goals. This simple possibility of achievement pushed me to work hard and has lead me to attend Princeton University and play on the field hockey team.

However, this application of competitive techniques was successful because I performed the actions for long term goals, it becomes apparent that when one expects everyday materialization in return of  task completion gamification can be dangerous.  For example, my five-year-old nephew is extremely precocious. In order to get him to finish his dinner, my sister told him he could get a toy truck. He has utilized her bargain and now manipulates his way into negotiating everything his mother asks him to do. This is a habit in children that are very hard to break. I’ve seen this behavior continue with many of fellow students. In high school I would hear that parents were giving their teens a 100$ for each A and for each goal. Although this may be effective in the short term it wont last or instill a work ethic. At some point the money will stop and they will have no self-motivation. There satisfaction for completing tasks are no comparison to those that push themselves towards greatness.

In conclusion, I believe gamification can be extremely effective in the long term when it’s self-inflicted. I gladly perform the unglamorous everyday tasks because I know the satisfaction I get when I fulfill my goals will be momentous.